Do’s and Don’ts for the GRE
If you have registered for the GRE and want to score high on it, here are some quick tips that will help you. Along with proper preparation, you have to take care of many things. Our blog explains the do’s and don’ts of the GRE and goes into different tips and tricks to help you ace it.
Do’s and Don’ts for the GRE
You should memorize the dos and don’ts that will help you make the most of your GRE experience. Studying provides an opportunity to make use of techniques that are tried and tested, however, if done badly can really put a dampener on the mood. Relaxing is extremely important on test days. Here we have compiled a list of do’s and don’t that would allow you to relax, stay focused and make the most of your preparation.
The do’s Before and on the GRE test day
- Do read as many articles in the newspaper. This will increase your answering speed and expose you to a wide variety of topics.
- To focus on your studies until the day of the GRE, you should make a proper study routine strategy along with a timetable. Follow it till the last day before your exam.
- Do try to have a proper sleep. This will keep you fresh and can concentrate on your studies very well.
- Do Spend More Time Working on Your Weaknesses. Identify your weaknesses and strengths and have an understanding of what you need to work on more.
- Do stay optimistic. Stay calm and work speedily by following a proper method, without rushing or jumping directly to conclusions.
- Going with an official guide and power prep for the GRE is a must-do thing the preparation for the exam.
- Do proper planning for time management. Prepare yourself with the timing of the exam, and understand the time management strategies well, so that you can complete the exam within the specified time.
- In the analytical writing section, use examples to present both sides of the argument while focusing on the main point.
- If you are not able to choose the correct option, use the elimination process. Eliminate the options which you think can’t be correct. This will increase your probability of selecting the right answer.
- To prepare for the GRE, practice as many sample papers as you can with the help of many GRE Preparation materials online. You will get a proper idea of a variety of questions asked in the official GRE.
- Try to understand the quants section of the New GRE. You must not underestimate the quantitative section of the GRE. Many of the students think that getting through the math section is just a cakewalk. Though the GRE maths section is not hard, it is tricky. Without much practice and proper strategies, it can turn out to be a major score bummer.
- Read all the instructions carefully before taking the test; do not skip any of them! You must strictly follow the rules that are stated before the examination.
- Use flashcards to enhance your vocabulary.
The don’ts before and on the GRE test day
- Don’t start answering questions as soon as the exam begins. Many GRE candidates begin writing before they have organized their thoughts. You should take a few minutes before answering to understand exactly what the question is asking, form an opinion, and then form your writing.
- Do not bring the calculator to the exam. For the quantitative section of the GRE, an on-screen calculator will assist you in your calculations.
- Do not spend much time on questions that are long or too hard for you to solve, make their mark and review them later after completing other questions.
- Do not just cram-full the words and their meanings in your mind. Use them soundly in sentences so that they are ingrained in your memory.
- Be careful while answering, do not make silly mistakes. Avoid making minor errors by solving problems with the provided scratch paper and pen, and double-checking to eliminate silly mistakes.
- Don’t forget to bring your acceptable photo Identification Document, since you will need it at the test center. Without ID, you will not be allowed to appear for the test.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for more scratch paper during the test, if you need it. To request more paper during the test, simply raise your hand, and the invigilator will collect your old scratch paper and replace it with a new one.
We hope that you enjoyed our article about what you should and shouldn’t do for your GRE preparation. Many international universities check your GRE scores for admissions. This exam helps them to determine whether or not they will be a good fit at the school.
If you would like to take the GRE, we would encourage you to take some practice tests. It will help you to know your strengths and weaknesses, and then you can start preparing to improve those areas. We hope you can use this information to make the best possible GRE test score.
All the best!!!!