Who Is Eligible For Student Visa Subclass 500?

 Who Is Eligible For Student Visa Subclass 500?

student visa 500

Student Visa 500 allows an individual from the age of 6 to study in a course in Australia. Over three months in duration. This multiple entry visa allows one to travel in and out of Australia. And it can be valid for five years depending on the course and its duration.

One can enroll their children in a primary school in Australia, but they must be at least six years old. One can also enroll them in years 1 to 4. But they can only be granted a student visa subclass 500 for two years. An individual or their partner/relative needs to accompany them as their guardian. Or make appropriate welfare arrangements until they are 18. If no one accompanies the student as a guardian, their school must issue a CAAW letter to confirm. That other welfare arrangements have been made.

Requirements For Subclass 500 Student Visa

For an Australian student visa subclass 500, one needs to submit the following documents-

  • Passport: applicants who need a australian visa subclass 500 have to submit a valid passport issued by their current country of birth. They could be required to submit a copy of their national ID and driver’s license.
  • Latest Biometrics and Photograph: one needs to submit an updated photograph and Biometrics. The immigration office can let one know if they need fingerprints.
  • Student Visa Application Form: one needs to fill, sign and submit the application form for a subclass 500 student visa and other documents.
  • Age Requirements: students need to be six years old to apply for the subclass 500 visa. Students also need to be of a certain age when they begin their secondary, primary and tertiary education. The other conditions are:
  1. They need to be younger than 17 years old before starting year 9 of school.
  2. Less than 18 years old before commencing year 10 of school.
  3. They need to be less than 19 years before beginning year 11 of school.
  4. They need to be less than 20 years before starting year 12 of school.

Proof of study program:

  • when one applies for a subclass 500 student visa, they need to submit a Confirmation Letter Of Enrolment (COE) for all courses planned during the study programme with temporary graduate visa 485. The COE has to be submitted before the visa is granted. One needs to remember if the COE expires, it’s their responsibility to ensure they have a valid COE during the stay, or the visa could be cancelled.
  • Parental Consent: If an individual brings a child under 18 years of age with them, and one of the parents is not accompanying the child to Australia, they need a parental consent form attached to the visa application.
  • Civil Documents: one needs to provide documents such as a marriage certificate, birth certificate, adoption paper, divorce papers, including evidence of an existing relationship with a partner. If a name is changed, a certificate verifying a name change is also needed.
  • Health insurance: students need to have proper health insurance for their Australian visa application. The applications of students and their family members need to be covered by OSHC. The insurance needs to be valid from the day the student arrives in Australia, not from the date courses commence.

Students need to get OSHC from an approved provider and pay for the insurance policy. If applicants do not have health insurance, they cannot enter Australia. Students may not receive health insurance if:

  1. They are Norwegian students and are covered by the Norwegian National insurance Scheme.
  2. Swedish students covered by Kammarkollegiet.
  3. They are Belgian students covered by the Reciprocal healthCare Agreements with Australia.

Evidence of financial capacity:

  • to provide evidence for financial capacity, one needs to show:
  1. They have enough financial funds to support travel costs, a year of living in Australia and adequate funds to cover tuition fees.
  2. Proof that family members are adequate to support the applicant financially.
  3. The family members need to have a yearly income of at least AUD 62,222 for single students and AUUD 75,592 for family members.
  4. They have a letter of support from the Australian Department of Foreign affairs and Trade or the Department of Defense.
  5. Acceptance advice or a secondary exchange form for exchange students.

English Language Certification Needs For Australia Student Visa 500

Students would need to submit evidence of sufficient knowledge of the English language. They need to take English language tests from test providers and gain a minimum score that would allow them to enter Australia.

Suppose the language test provider is the International English Language Testing System (IELTS, they need to score a minimum of 5.5. If the language provider is Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)- an internet-based test, they need a score of 36. If the test provider is Cambridge English Advanced Certificate, a minimum score of 162 is needed.

Those taking the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) and Occupational English Test need to score a minimum of 42 and B for every tested aspect, respectively.

Students would be excluded from the English language requirement if :

  • They are citizens from Canada, New Zealand, the US, the UK, or Ireland.
  • If they are sponsor by the Department of Defence or from the Department of Foreign Affairs.
  • Applicants are secondary exchange students.
  • If the applicants are enrol in the course of study under a registered school course.
  • Students that are register in a course that is delivered in another language.
  • Applicants have completed five years of study in the US, UK, New Zealand, South Africa or the Republic of Ireland.

How Long Is A Student Visa 500 Valid In Australia?

A student visa 500 is valid for five years, and if the study course is less than that, then the visa could be valid for the study duration. One could take the help of a migration agent in Adelaide to know if they are eligible for the visa.

Final Words

If a student wishes to study in Australia and does not know the visa rules and regulations of the country, they could contact an Adelaide migration agent. These agents are up to date with the latest visa rules of Australia and can help the applicant in filing visa forms.

If an individual does not know if they are eligible for the visa, a migration agent could help them familiarise themselves with the requirements. There are various migration agents in Adelaide, and an individual could contact any of them for professional help regarding the student visa 500.

Related post